My dad’s favorite dessert is key lime pie, so for his 60th birthday this weekend, I made him a healthy version! Gluten-free graham cracker crust, avocado base for the filling, served with a coconut “whipped cream.” It was delicious!
Here’s the recipe:
Graham Cracker Crust
1 1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs (I used gluten-free graham crackers from Whole Foods and gave them a spin in the Vitamix)
1/3 cup organic coconut sugar
6 tbps grass-fed butter
1. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter (or Earth Balance for a vegan version) until well blended. Press mixture into an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.
2. Bake at 375 for 7 minutes. Cool (you can chill it in the fridge).
Key Lime Filling
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
1/4 cup raw honey
4 limes, zested and juiced
1/8 tsp sea salt
1. Blend the cashews, honey and coconut oil in a Vitamix or food processor until smooth. Add the avocadoes, lime juice, lime zest and salt. Blend well until smooth.
2. Spoon the filling into the crust. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours. Serve cold.
Coconut Whipped Cream
1 can of full fat coconut milk
Stevia, to taste
1. Refrigerate a can of coconut milk for several hours. Open it and remove the firm coconut meat only. Don’t use the liquid portion. Blend the coconut meat with stevia in the Vitamix until fluffy. I stored this in the fridge and served in a bowl alongside the pie.
Absolutely delicious, nutritious dessert!