I packed and re-packed 3 times before getting it right. Now I’m happy. But first…
What is the best backpack for a big backpacking trip?
A few people have asked, my backpack is a Gregory Women’s Jade 60, which I have been so happy with. This is the best bag for backpacking. I used this bag for trips to Siberia, Kilimanjaro and India. It’s been a trooper across multiple countries and continents. It was great on a plane, train, tuk tuk, boat, camel – you name it. It’s small-ish so you can’t overpack. This bag is STURDY and AWESOME. The guy who sold it to me told me many have used it for hiking the Appalachian Trail so I figured it was sufficent for my needs and it is. I mean, on the Appalachian Trail you have to carry your sleeping bag, tent, food, clothes, etc for 6 months. If this bag can handle that, it can handle anything 🙂
And now, here’s my packing list:
Bottom row, left to right:
– 1 scarf
– 1 pair gloves
– 1 spork
– 1 platypus water bottle
– 1 headlamp (thanks Dad for fixing it)
– 1 baby bliss travel hairdryer
– Sunglasses and regular glasses
– 1 down jacket (Exofficio)
2nd row, left to right:
– Supplements! Medicine! Cipro, GiMicrobx, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Multivitamin, Aleve, Intestinol, and a homeopathic jetlag pill. Not enough to last the whole time, just an assortment of my faves.
– Camera with built in USB, battery charger.
– Backpack cover in case it rains
– Silk sheet
– A stuff sack for dirty clothes
– 1 rain poncho
3rd row, left to right:
– Shoes: flip flops, 5 Fingers, Toms. That’s IT for shoes. And I went to 5 stores to find the Toms today … Urban Outfitters has best selection and most sizes if you’re looking.
– Journal, Ghandi’s autobiography, passport, wallet.
– Toiletries, including: makeup, nailclipper, tweezer, deodorant, toothpaste, retainer, floss, lots of Carley’s soap, razor, small hairbrush, Dr Bronners. Just the basics but still heavy.
Top row, left to right:
– Small travel towel and small backpack
– Packing cube filled with socks, undies, bras, bathing suit
– Packing cube for shirts: 2 tshirts, 1 tank top, 1 nice silk shirt, 1 long shirt, 1 Victorias Secret supermodel hoodie that makes no sense to bring but I love. Karan was ruthless in helping me cut down on shirts.
– Packing cube for pants: 1 hiking pant, 1 pair jeans, 2 pairs yoga pants (1 long, 1 shorter), 1 pair leggings, 1 black dress. Karan wouldn’t let me pack shorts! He is strict.
Not pictured: I might squeeze in a small purse, a hat, and I’ll wear a light Lululemon jacket to the airport tomorrow.
Total weight: 22 pounds!!!