I’m leaving the country for 6 months and renting our apartment to a subletter so guess what that means – time for an epic “spring” cleaning!
Here are the questions I asked about each and every item in my closet and dresser:
Epic Spring Cleaning Questions (can be used year round)
1. Have I worn this is the last year? If not, toss it.
2. Be honest Kerry, have I worn it in the past 2 years?? Toss it!
3. Do I feel amazing wearing this? If not, toss it.
4. How many black sweaters (or pairs of torn stockings, or hiking socks) do I really need? I’m not sure, but probably less than 6.
5. When I come back in spring 2013, will I want to wear it/ will it be in style?
6. Does it have holes in it or sweat stains and does it even fit? Toss accordingly!
In the past, I have really only asked Question #1, but Sunday’s cathartic cleaning session took things to a whole new level. It felt amazing, a huge weight lifted off. The truth is, I will now need to do some shopping when I return to the US in 2013, but that is ok. I’m not a big shopper and if I ever need to save money, clothes shopping is the very first thing to go. But through the years, our bodies change, styles change, clothes get worn out, and I entered my 30s which seems to have a slightly different dress code than my 20s.
Please share if these questions help you to have an exhilarating cleaning experience!