A friend called me this weekend, about to enter the supermarket and wanted to know what ingredients to buy to make a soup. Here are the 3 combinations I suggested:
1. pre-cut butternut squash + onion
2. carrot + ginger
3. potatoes + leeks
Just keep onions and garlic in the fridge at all times, and you can really use any veggies to make soup. I’ve been making Potato Leek soup for years and it’s so good I feel like I could eat a whole pot of it at once! True comfort food, and it’s so creamy you’ll be surprised it’s dairy free.
Here’s a simple recipe, adapted from care2.com. I happened to have a bag of assorted potatoes on hand, so I used them … you’ll see a purple potato and even a sweet potato in the pictures below.
Vegan Potato Leek Soup
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 2 leeks, washed and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
– 2 cups chopped onion
– 1/2 tsp sea salt
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 lb), cubed into 1/2 inch cubes. I didn’t peel them but you can.
– 4 cups vegetable stock
1. Heat the oil in your pot over medium heat.
2. Add the leeks, onion and sea salt and saute for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
4. Add the potatoes and veggie stock, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the soup from the heat and blend in the blender until smooth. Please use caution with hot soup in the blender!